Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Finally!

I made the pasta w/ garbanzo beans!!

After my failed attempt to get this on the stove Friday, I tried again Saturday. R. just wasn't having it, claiming that he doesn't like chickpeas. (Since when?!) Saturday's dinner ended up being Dijon Baked Chicken Breasts from a cookbook I've had for awhile but rarely used, The Big Book of Easy Suppers. I served the chicken w/ pan roasted potatoes, spinach sauted w/ garlic, olive oil, and red pepper flakes, and green beans. It was sooo good! The chicken was moist and flavorful, and super quick to put together. I'll keep it in rotation for those nights when my chicken needs a little oomph.

Sunday, I find out R. has plans w/ some buddies for dinner. Hooray! I get to make my pasta w/ garbanzo beans! Was it worth the wait? Absolutely!! This dish was so quick to put together, so warm and comforting, so filling. At first I was hesitant, because I was afraid it would be too soupy. I soldiered on, though, and by the end of the 15 minute simmer, I had perfectly cooked pasta with soft, tender, creamy garbanzos and a rich, flavorful, not overpowreing sauce. And the bonus? It reheated perfectly for lunch on Monday. I can't wait to make this dish again!

Last night for dinner, I tried another chicken recipe out of The Big Book of Easy Suppers - Chicken Florentine. This is a rice-based casserole filled with chicken and spinach and topped with a dusting of parmesan cheese. Halving the chicken and doubling the spinach were the only changes I made. After a 45 minute bake in the oven, it was time for dinner. The casserole was studded with beautiful emerald green spinach and chunks of white chicken breast. It smelled fantastic. The taste, though, didn't meet my expectations. It was pretty bland. We tried adding salt, red pepper flakes, more cheese. It just wasn't working for us. R. did finish his plate without complaining, though. (I think he feels bad about giving me a hard time w/ dinner Friday night...) With my to-try pile growing more every day, I can safely say we won't be repeating this one. There are just too many other wonderful combinations to try!

Tune in later tonight to find out what I'm making in honor of Sweetnick's ARF/5-a-Day Tuesday...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home