Thursday, January 12, 2006

A Night Off

But first, a quick dinner report:
I made Cooking Light's Spaghetti Carbonara. I had high hopes and was left a bit disappointed. The sauce was heavy and greasy-tasting. I should've acted on instinct and added some frozen peas or broccoli to the pasta mixture for some added color and a lighter, fresher flavor. It wasn't terrible, just rather underwhelming. Given the huge stack of recipes in my To-Try pile, this one won't be repeated.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For R. and I, most of our lives revolve around a computer. He works in IT and does a lot of freelance networking and computer set-up work. I was a student when we met (lots of computer time there), and my jobs since then have all revolved around a computer monitor. I also spend tons of time researching recipes, learning about new cuisines, and working on my own freelance projects (mainly copywriting/editing). Lately though, we've really upped the ante. R. is studying for a new certification program, and I have been studying to take the GRE (yes, I want to be a student again...). It really feels like we've been spendingmore time staring at our computer screens than we do talking to each other. (Granted, we share our office at home, and each have a home pc, but still... listening to each other type and click isn't exactly quality time, y'know?) I always used to think that since we live together and have no kids/pets/etc to distract us, spending time together wouldn't be an issue. Then it occurred to me that being in the same room, on the same floor, or even under the same roof as someone doesn't neccesarily mean spending time together.

So, last night I made an executive decision. No computers for the rest of the night. Instead, we snuggled on the couch, had some wine, caught up on some TiVo, and actually had a conversation. It. Was. Wonderful. And definitely worth missing out on Quantitative Reasoning.

On deck for tonight:
I had a plan for chicken stir fry, but R. went out for Chinese for lunch, so that idea is shelved for now. I just might declare a Fend for Yourself night...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home