Friday, February 10, 2006

Hamburger What?!?

I wasn't expecting R. to be home for dinner last night, so I just planned on eating some of the leftovers that have been accumulating in the fridge. So imagine my surprise when R. walks through the door at 4:30 with a grocery bag!!
Hi honey!, he says. Guess what? I'm making dinner tonight! Aren't you excited?

Um, sure. Let me preface this by saying that R. never cooks. Never. In fact, I don't think he's cooked more than five meals for himself since we moved in together a year and a half ago. Seriously. When I'm out of town, he excitedly goes through all the take-out menus and plans where he's going to order food from while I'm away. There will inevitably be a stop to KFC somewhere in there, you can be sure of it.

However, wanting to encourage him, I responded with enthusiasm, hugs, and lots of "I really appreciate that." He quickly shuffled me out of the kitchen because he was "making a surprise." At this point, I'm afraid. I go in the other room and secretly call my sister.

Me (whispering): Hey sis, R's making dinner for us tonight.
Amber: Oh my God, he is? Are you in a fight? Did he do something wrong? Wait! What's he making??
Me (still whispering): I don't know... He said it was a surprise...
Amber (groaning): Ooooh no! Good luck...
So, what graced the table a la Chef R.? Hamburger Helper. Yes, that's right. Hamburger Helper's Cheeseburger Macaroni something or other. No salad, no veg. Just a heaping plate of HH. It was pretty awful - overly salty with mushy noodles and not a lot of flavor. Still, I put on my brave girl face and dug in. I didn't want R. to think I didn't like/appreciate what he had done. But then I notice that R. stopped eating. When I asked him what was wrong, he made kind of a grimace and said, "It's not as good as I remember it... I think I like your cooking better." Poor guy! He tried so hard! I told him that we could probably find a really easy recipe that would be similar to this kind of food but would have more flavor, etc. And it would be un-complicated enough for him to try, if he wanted. He seemed to agree to that. We tossed the rest of dinner and he took me to Qdoba for chicken quesadillas instead. Yum!

1 Comments:

Blogger Michele said...

Awwww! That's so sweet :) My hubby and kids love HH but I only allow such "fake food" about once a year (**giggle**). I always toss in some veg and more seasoning... the stuff is pretty bad... ugh!

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home